What does Basic Blood Work Entail?
These include the basic blood work panels that you usually can get run through your regular doctor and have insurance pay for it. They don’t cost very much, but they also don’t tell you very much. We added Hemoglobin A1C to assess the damage your body is sustaining from elevated blood sugars, and Vitamin D.
- Complete Blood Count
- Looks at the size and shape of your red blood cells (RBC) to detect different anemias
- Checks your white blood cells (WBC) to look for infections, inflammation, leukemias etc.
- Liver and Kidney function
- liver enzymes to see whether you have damage to your liver
- eGFR to determine how well your kidneys are working
- Metabolic markers
- Glucose – tests your blood sugar. Optimal blood sugar levels are in the 70s or 80s. If you are in the 90s, you are most likely pre-diabetic. The normal range goes up to 99, usually, and so you can think you are normal, but you are at risk for developing diabetes.
- Hemoglobin A1C – gives an estimate for your average blood sugar and whether you are pre-diabetic or if your diabetes is “controlled” with medication.
- Vitamin D – this vitamin is a current hot item in medicine, as research is showing that it is involved in many of the body’s most important processes. Many Americans are deficient in Vitamin D, and many more are not at optimal levels. The Vitamin D Association recommends optimal vitamin D levels at least 60 ng/dl. If you are supplementing for cancer prevention or heart disease, your levels should be between 80 and 100ng/dl.
- TSH – A terrible test to look at your thyroid function. It is basically worthless alone. One way we describe this test is if you wanted to get to know someone, and you sat down with their grandmother. This test is two full steps away from the active form of thyroid.
Who should get basic blood work done?
If you don’t have health insurance, or have poor laboratory coverage, you can have us run these labs for you. We don’t really recommend it, however because our other laboratory panels can tell you so much more. The price does include a 30 minute appointment with a Naturopathic MD to review the findings. If you want to DO something about the findings, be sure to add personalized supplementation recommendations and or one of our health coaching programs and get started on feeling better today.