Sleeping less than 6 hours has been shown to increase the likelihood of death from. . . everything! You need to get good, deep, regenerative, uninterrupted sleep for your body and brain to work optimally.
Naps are one of my favorite things, delicious treats that we often don’t get to enjoy as adults. I think naps are like desserts for the brain. But healthy desserts.
Another research study showed that if you take a sleep aid (not herbal nor melatonin) more than 17 times a year your cancer risk increases as much as if you smoked tobacco. OMG.
Unfortunately, many of us don’t get the sleep we need due to life expectations, schedules, responsibility, or an organic inability to sleep well.
Here are some things you can do to immediately get better sleep.
- Stay away from screens for at least 2 hours before bed. If you need to work late, or have other reasons to be in front of a screen, wear these super stylish blue light blocking glasses. Blue light from screens looks like daylight to your brain, and can make it much more difficult to fall asleep. If you need reading glasses, you can choose some with magnification here.
- Have a hot Epsom salt bath before bed. The hot water is relaxing, and the magnesium from the Epsom salt can be absorbed through the skin, and help you get to sleep.
- Use the bedroom for only 2 things, sleep and sex. Don’t read, work, eat or watch TV in the bedroom. By keeping it free of distractions, your brain recognizes that it is time to sleep or. . . you know, when you enter the room.
- Create a routine. If you keep doing the same routine before bed, your body gets in the habit for sleep.
- If you wake a lot during the night to urinate, often that is a blood sugar issue. If you have a little bit of protein before bed, it can help stabilize your blood sugar, and help you sleep longer and deeper.
- Use essential oils. Lavender is a great, relaxing essential oil that helps to calm your mind, relax, and get ready for bed. You want lavender officionalis, French lavender.
- Meditate before bed. Youtube has great meditations to help calm your mind and get ready to sleep. Not everyone has the same tastes, so spend some time and find one you like, and use it!
If you still have trouble sleeping, let us know! We have developed natural sleep support packs that can put a rhino into dream land, so let us know if you need more help!