We swim in a chemical soup of toxic exposures.
Toxic exposures are everywhere. Do you think the people in charge are protecting you?
Here are some disturbing facts:
- It has been 80 years since congress passed laws governing the cosmetics industry.
- The average woman uses 12 personal care products a day and is exposed to hundreds of chemicals that are not tested for human safety.
- Europe has banned the use of 1300 cosmetic ingredients. The US has only banned 11.
- Women are more likely to get an autoimmune disease. Toxic exposures can play a role in causing autoimmunity.
- Cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma and allergies, dementia, digestive disorders and many more diseases are caused at least in part by toxic exposures.
According to the Environmental Working Group, cosmetics sold in the United States can contain:
- 29 ingredients banned in Canadian cosmetics
- 15 ingredients banned in European cosmetics
- 55 ingredients not allowed in European hair dyes
- 5 ingredients known to the State of California to cause cancer
- 6 ingredients known to the State of California to be developmental toxins (able to cause birth defects)
Did you know that there is lead in many long lasting red lipsticks?
“How FDA Determined That Up to 10 ppm Lead in These Products Would Not Pose a Health Risk
Exposure to lead from lipstick is mainly by swallowing, such as after a consumer licks her lips, so we used the same approach for cosmetic lip products that we use to estimate exposure to lead from food. We determined that exposure to 10 ppm (parts per million) lead from incidental ingestion of cosmetic lip products is very small and cannot be measured in routine blood testing.
Exposure to lead from other cosmetics is by absorption through the skin, but the amount absorbed is very small. This means that exposure to lead from a product such as eye shadow or body lotion is even lower than exposure to lead from a lipstick or other lip cosmetic, and also cannot be measured in routine blood testing.
Based on these factors, we concluded that up to 10 ppm lead in cosmetic lip products and externally applied cosmetics would not pose a health risk. “
We don’t think that is very sound science nor logic. Lead builds up in the body over time. These “safe” levels are only looking at what can be measured in the blood, not effects over time because the body stores lead. Does it bother you that the EPA doesn’t like more than 15 ppb of lead in drinking water? That means the FDA isn’t concerned about 10,000 ppb in lipstick, but doesn’t want 15 ppb in water. We drink much more water, but you are still eating or swallowing the lipstick. Lead exposure builds up in the body, and that is what makes it so dangerous. If you want clean and natural alternatives to conventional lipsticks, click here to visit our shop.
Dangers of Lead Toxic Exposures:
The importance of detoxification from toxic exposures:
Lead in cosmetics aren’t the only source of toxicants we have exposure to on a daily basis. Water in plastic bottles contains phthalates, proven to cause hormones to become imbalanced, and more likely to cause diseases like infertility and cancer. Fragrances in detergents and perfumes are also able to cause cancer. Many other health problems are caused by pesticides and contaminants in our food and water. We are biologically responsible for every molecule we encounter. To read an article on the danger of chemicals, written by Dr. Heather Wdowin, one of our Naturopathic MDs, click here.
If you help your body to detoxify from toxicants, they are much less likely to cause disease.
Here are some of our favorite recommendations:
VegeCleanse: Easy to take supplement packets designed to support your body’s phase I and II detox pathways. 14 day supply.
Detox Benefits: Designed to help you remove solvents and other chemicals from your body. Order now if you are bothered by the smell of perfumes, fragrances, paint, tires, gasoline, new carpet etc.
Detox Boost Liposomal Glutathione: Glutathione is the number one antioxidant made by the body, and helps keep you healthy, fight cancer and other diseases.
Complete Mineral Complex: Minerals are needed for every process in the body, and our foods have less minerals in them now than they did 50 years ago.